 Trains / 29672
29671  |  29673
Subject:
programmed switching systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:40:14 GMT

Hello everyone,

In several places on my 9V Lego train layout, I have sidings which provide the
opportunity for a train to overtake another train which is travelling on the
same track in the same direction. I would like to automate this process and I am
part way there but would like a little help from someone if possible. I am a
skilled programmer and competent with electronics but I am unaware of the Lego
programmable tools available and/or how to use them in this situation.

I want to set up a light sensor that will detect the arrival of the leading
train and immediately trigger a pulse that will result in the siding switches
being set to direct the train into the siding and then reset the points to cut
power to the siding so that the train in the siding stops and so that the
following train passes straight through without stopping. After a few seconds,
the siding points need to be automatically reset to re-establish the electrical
connection between the siding and the main line so that the stationery train
moves off and recommences its travel but now travelling behind the train that it
was previously in front of. I hope that is clear.

I have some Lego light sensors (#2982c01) and have built some motorized point
changing structures using #71427 motors following the design of Chris
Alano/Amaury Jacquot but there is clearly a lot more to do including
incorporating a programmable controller. Can anyone offer any help for me here?

Thanks in anticipation,
Graham