 Trains / 29680
Re: How to pull a long train (Was: Re: End of 9V Trains protest layout idea)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:48:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Martin Srb wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Bob Parker wrote:
[zick-zack]

Hi Martin,

you have added a few interesting issues into the discussion - especially the
biting on straight track was more or less new for me, but of cause fully
understandable.

I think this is one of the reasons, why real life train wheels have conical
running areas (in LEGO only to be found for BBB-wheels and wrongly directed at
old 12V train engine wheels with rubber band).

But speaking about resistance, I think a lot of friction for LEGO wheels is
coming out of their (none-existing) bearings. Especially the blue era stuff had
extraordinary high friction with the 2x4 wheel blocks and single wheels with
metal pins. The grey era was better, the early 9V stuff the best ever done by
LEGO.
I would guess that this part of friction would easily overstep all other
friction on straight track. While biting dominates everything else in curves (in
the LEGO world).
And in real life the bearings of trains show extremely low friction
coefficients, which are surly less than any biting friction due to zig-zagging.
This shows clearly that we can not fully compare real life and LEGO life. We may
not even speak of LEGO trains, but only about any spcific eras.....

Another - and possibly negligible - part of friction comes finally from the
slipping of wheels on the track due to different length of track in curves. Left
and right rail wheels are connected (in real life and with 9V wheel sets). In
the narrow Lego curves the wheels have to slip evidently (like a car missing the
differential gear). I have no idea how important this might be in comparison to
biting. But at least this part of friction is proportional to the wheight of the
car.

Leg Godt!

Ben