 Trains / 29674
Re: End of 9V Trains protest layout idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:50:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:

   :snip:

Using this method, the train lengths would only be limited by the upper arm strength of the person pulling it - so prototypical 100+ car trains (1) could be moved around at realistic scale speeds. That would be an impressive sight to behold, all those double stack intermodal cars, boxcars, tank cars, etc. going down the tracks as the person pulls them along.

:snip:

Actually, the magnetic couplers would be the limiting factor before the strength of the person pulling the train became an issue. I’m sure someone here knows what the critical number of cars is before the lead coupler can no longer bear the load. I’m guessing it’s around 20 or so. (and fewer if the cars are 8-wide). Of course, some builders have overcome this problem by using rare-earth magnets between their couplers, which are stronger.

-Jordan

During the last show that the Sydney LEGO Train Club displayed at, using an RC locomotive with two power bogies, we were able to pull about 27 carriages before the magnet couplers unbinding from each other. The magenets we used were the ‘regular’ LEGO magnet couplers, and not the rare-earth magnets that Jordan mentioned.

Cheers, J.P. Manalo