 Trains / 29450
Re: Scott Wardlaw's GM EMD SD80 in Norfolk Southern trim
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:

That is one sweet loco Scott. So many nice details an very well proportioned. The decals look awesome. I’m curious how you made them as I’ve been searching for a good solution for my own decals. Great work.

Cale

Cale,

Thanks for the compliments! My process for making the stickers begins with finding a good picture of the real sticker on the real train. Here is a great source: http://www.railpictures.net/

After finding one that is a direct shot of the real sticker, I then spend a lot of time in a Photoshop-like program to cut away the background, so that only the sticker is left.

I usually will need to do a lot of touch-up work in Photoshop or the like to get the coloring right, etc. Sometimes, I have to completely redraw the sticker; using the original as a template, or color between the outside lines.

www.railfonts.com should be helpful for the artwork for many railroads (but not NS).

Benn

PS, echoing the others, nice locomotive.