 Trains / 29446
Re: Scott Wardlaw's GM EMD SD80 in Norfolk Southern trim
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:18:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J Railton wrote:
   The bogeys are a neat design, particularly the way the steps are part of the bogey but line up neatly in the straight position. The bodywork shows some good detail on the roof (the sunken box section is well done) and some interesting shapes, but would it be possible to eliminate those last few studs - if not on the front, then below the hatch on the right-hand side?

Jason R

Jason,

Thanks for the compliments! I’m also happy with the way that the sunken box turned out for the exhaust. I wasn’t sure it was going to look good.

I really tried to tile, or not show studs on the front, but couldn’t find anything else that I was going to be happy with. Now, I think the four studs showing on the front help make it look big and mean.

The studs on the side are a result of my hand-rail design. I really don’t like the tube that LEGO used for the BNSF, and I’m not really happy with my choice of hand-rail either, but I think it makes it look cleaner and more like a sturdy hand-rail should.

Although I have seen some 8-wide locomotives where the tube hand-rail looks great. Maybe someone will come up with something better for a 6-wide loco.

Thanks again, Scott