 Trains / 28637
    Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ondrew Hartigan
   I’d like to pose a question that’s been bothering me lately. Since RC trains made they’re debut last year many issues have risen with the product in its current form. Mainly these are control and power issues but there are many other quirks as well. (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Don Cox
     (...) Changes... NONE!! I have too much invested in 9v trains to convert to RC and plastic track. It is my belief that who can say in the next few years that TLG won't switch to another train line. They have gone from pre-- to 4.5v, to 12v, 9v and (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ondrew Hartigan
     (...) Before this goes way off on a tangent let me rephrase my question. What changes would you propose to the IR/RC train system to make it useful in a complementary way to the 9v system? I understand that some will never convert as they have (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Brian Davis
     (...) OK, well one really simple, almost trivial thing: you can run the IR train on the same track as the 9V, allowing you to have two trains going around a track in different directions, with just a quick timed siding excursion to let them pass and (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —John Neal
     (...) Personally, I'd use the plastic gray track rails before I'd use the plastic track compatible with the 9 volt track. I suppose it would be easy for TLG to make gentler curves using pieces such as those, but the point is mute for me. I'm with (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Brian Davis
     [Warning: non-train person elbowing into the conversation, so my viewpoint is... very different perhaps] (...) There are two issues I see being important for me: control and power (and yes, I know lots of reasons why it's best to do that through (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Thomas Stangl
     (...) Not gonna happen until TLG brings out a motor that can handle remotely near the current motor, and maybe not even then. I already have too much money spent on rechargeable batteries, I'm not about to attempt to power a decent train with a (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ondrew Hartigan
     (...) another hypothetical here: If lego or someone else was to produce a motor that matched the pulling power or was stronger than the current 9v motor and there was a system in place to suport the amp draw would that have any affect on your (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Thomas Stangl
     (...) Probably not, at least for enough years to matter to TLG's bottom line. My purchases are less than 1/10 of pre-Bley already without the TrackChange issue, but so far I've bought *TWO* "new" train sets (ones that involve the new track system, (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Matthew J. Chiles
     (...) Again, I am someone who will never convert to the plain plastic, but I see the IR system being much more useful if the battery/receiver is unbundled from the baseplate. Ideally, I would like to have the IR receiver unbundled from both battery (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ondrew Hartigan
     (...) actuly the ironic thing is lego is producing something like you described for the 2007 lineup. the dinosar and grader have an ir motor controler with a seperate motor and battery pac. the only down side is it's uncompatable with the old 9v (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Jason J Railton
     (...) I'm going to rely on my 9V trains simply for power and control. But, if LEGO want me to buy more IR stuff then they could consider the following: A 16-stud version of the IR base. They'd only need to re-mould the top part, then you could use (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Matthew Crandall
     (...) **maniacal laughter** Bring back the 4.5 volt trains, with the good plastic track. That's what I'd like to see. And the cuuuuute little battery boxes! Bwah-hah-hah-hah-haaaaaah! Okay, seriously-- I never got the 9v train system; I sorta felt (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ross Crawford
     (...) It's possible you could get reasonable running by butting them up against one another, but no, they're not really designed to click together. If you ask Ondrew nicely, he may be able to come up with a nice adapter solution though. ROSCO (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, FTX)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ondrew Hartigan
     (...) while the distance between the rails is identical the depth of the rail is not. unfortunetly this lets 4.5v trains run on 9v track but not the other way around because 9v train wheels have a longer flange depth.. ondrew (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, FTX)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Niels Karsdorp
     (...) I haven't had any problems running the new IR freight train on my old blue track. Even going through points went okay. Niels (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, FTX)

         Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Mathew Clayson
     (...) I also had no problems running a train when I metalized some 4.5v track using some thin metal tape. (URL) But this did increase the hieght of the rail by a samll amount. I picked up ~500 peices of lt bley straight 4.5v style plastic track (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, FTX)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Lester Witter
     (...) Non-LEGO model railroaders have been scratch building power trains for decades. We should be able to come up with motored wheels and power pic-up (probably based on DCC). The big problem is the track. I think it will be possible to put metal (...) (17 years ago, 23-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Benn Coifman
   (...) A 9V track solution... I have been wondering about the problem of the 9V track myself. As I understand it, putting the metal on the track is very expensive for LEGO. And for some other company to build metal track to this gauge, they would (...) (17 years ago, 25-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains —Ondrew Hartigan
   (...) If I’m reading this right your suggesting changing the track system in it's entirety and replacing it with something similar to HO flex track. While in theory this is a sound idea it has 1 major flaw, children. Lego after all is a children’s (...) (17 years ago, 25-Feb-07, to lugnet.trains)