 Trains / 28639
Re: Hypothetically speaking? the future of IR/RC trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 02:20:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   I’d like to pose a question that’s been bothering me lately. Since RC trains made they’re debut last year many issues have risen with the product in its current form. Mainly these are control and power issues but there are many other quirks as well. Since plastic track seems to be here to stay, Common sense tells me Lego is eventually going to kill off the 9v line. Knowing this, we as a community need to think about eventually converting to plastic rails. This also means now would be a great time to tell Lego what we need for plastic rails to work for us.

This leads me to my question; given the current IR RC train line what changes do you see necessary for you to convert from 9v track to plastic track and why?

Personally, I’d use the plastic gray track rails before I’d use the plastic track compatible with the 9 volt track. I suppose it would be easy for TLG to make gentler curves using pieces such as those, but the point is mute for me.

I’m with Don; I’ll never switch over. I consider the new RC system a bridge between Duplo trains and the 9 volt system, nothing more. It’s a bridge, not a replacement. And it’s not a very good bridge, because in my estimation, it is an unnecessary one. TLG should have come out with a system beyond the 9 volt system, essentially making the 9 volt system a bridge to the new one.

But nobody asked me.

JOHN