 Trains / 27679
Factory Set: Checkerboard Boxcar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:52:28 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

For a while I’d been thinking what I really need is a good boxcar for my layout. When I saw Christopher Masi’s LDD “Old (Millyard) Boxcar” I knew I had found what I was looking for. The only problem was Chris’ boxcar was in 8-wide and all of my equipment is 6-wide. So I set out to convert Chris’ model to 6-wide and in the process I added some features of my own. Here’s the result:

gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=194414

Chris deserves credit for most of the great aspects of this design, including the subtly sloped roof and the sliding doors that really open and close. My additions include the “checkerboard” livery and the air brake details in the undercarriage. The livery is meant to suggest rolling stock used by the Ralston Purina Company (reporting mark RPCX). While I’m sure George Westinghouse may argue my air brake detailing isn’t quite accurate when viewed from the bottom, the idea was to put some greebling there to evoke it when viewed from the side.

The conversion to 6-wide wasn’t completely trivial and maintaining the sloped roof and working doors took some thought. I also came up with this arrangement of tiles to create the proper resistance to keep the doors from sliding open by themselves under acceleration.

Of course the underlying goal was to create a boxcar I could buy from LEGO Factory, and that’s exactly what I did:

It’s in the gallery as boxcar_redchx28i under username pdurbano. Cost is about $55 US, for 452 pieces. The design was done with MLCAD and then imported to LDD. The LXF file contains organized instructions that are the best I could do without the ability to make sub-assemblies. LDD doesn’t let you adjust hinge control sticks (a.k.a. Mini Antenna in LDD) so make sure you tuck in the ends of those in the undercarriage as shown in my picture. The direct link for purchasing it is here (may expire eventually):

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=LFH002&mid=1af58fbc-ced0-4d6b-ad11-a40313768508

At first I was confused why the Factory site listed it as having 464 pieces until I opened the box and found it has the new assemble-yourself wheelsets. Each wheelset gets counted four times.

While so much of the credit goes to Chris, I’d still love to know what you think of the bits I did. Also, if anyone likes it enough to buy one I’d love to hear about it or see pictures if used in a show.

Thanks!

Paul D’Urbano