 Trains / 27681
Re: Factory Set: Checkerboard Boxcar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:01:29 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:
   For a while I’d been thinking what I really need is a good boxcar for my layout. When I saw Christopher Masi’s LDD “Old (Millyard) Boxcar” I knew I had found what I was looking for. The only problem was Chris’ boxcar was in 8-wide and all of my equipment is 6-wide. So I set out to convert Chris’ model to 6-wide and in the process I added some features of my own. Here’s the result:

gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=194414

While so much of the credit goes to Chris, I’d still love to know what you think of the bits I did. Also, if anyone likes it enough to buy one I’d love to hear about it or see pictures if used in a show.

Hi Paul,

I like it a lot. I like the details quite a lot. I build the few train cars that I do in 6 wide, but like to think of them as “beefy six wide” as I would this. I’d love to see this in dark red or reddish brown with the same livery.

I am interested in how you did the gently sloping roof. I tried for the same type of effect on the brown boxcar here:

(Thanks ++Lar for taking this picture)

I used 1x2 hinge bricks and simply affixed the tiles to them. Is that the same method you used?

I am also interested in hearing if you did any of the designing or pre-designing of your model in brick form to see if it functions before designing digitally. If not, are you pleased with the results and the funtionality of it? Do you find anything you might do differently?

The reason I ask is that I have never designed digitally and have no experience with it what-so-ever.

Great looking Boxcar!

Best,

Jonathan