 Trains / 27114
    Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Timothy Gould
   Hi all, Recently Soren Roberts came up with this (URL) excellent truck> with a really nifty container format. I dug it a lot and reverse engineered it with some help from Soren for the purpose of making a train to go with it. Anyway, to cut to the (...) (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.space, FTX) !!

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —James Mathis
     (...) (snip) (...) That is really nice! A great original-looking loc to go with those spacey containers. I love it! I really like the red/gray two-tone look and bulging engineer cabs. later, James Mathis (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Timothy Gould
     (...) Hi James, Thanks. LOL I feared I might have had my levels a little off. It's meant to be orange (there is real red on the top). I have to say a lot of credit goes to Soren for the containers. The train is just a prop for it. Tim (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Stefan Garcia
     This is pretty neat and spacey. Is the .dat available somewhere from you for download? I'd like to build my own version someday. -Stefan- (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Allister McLaren
     (...) Way to go making trains cool (ie. spacey). You are a real asset to the community. You've got me hatching plans for some sort of walking container handler now. If only I could step away from the computer for an evening or two... Allister (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Tony Hafner
     (...) That locomotive is beautiful. Have you built it in real bricks? I may build something quite similar if the articulation works well- the wheel covers look like they might be a bit close to the grey center section but I'm not experience enough (...) (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Timothy Gould
     (...) Not yet and probably never. If I'm ever going somewhere with a spacetrain layout I might build a copy but I doubt it would make the clearance. (...) That's something I'm not sure about either. I know the clearance is enough for a six-wide (...) (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Keith Goldman
     Wow, Timmy G, I was hoping I'd hate this train, but I have to say that it is excellent, and worthy of Soren's containers. I really dig the color scheme you chose for the engine. Do me a favor and post that Rusty Duck moc so that I can fire another (...) (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Allister McLaren
     (...) Point of order: If you're referring to the (URL) Rustbucket>, it wasn't Tim's. Cheers, Allister (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Keith Goldman
     (...) Thank you for the clarification Allister, I stand corrected. I'll abort the launch of the hate-rocket until Timmy-G produces a moc worthy of it. -Keith (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Michael Dallaston
     (...) My first Keith-smack and it wasn't even aimed at me :( Michael (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —James Wilson
   That's one sweet train! Nice job, and that's pretty quick with the rendering, too! How long has that container been up - a few days? One thing that's been sitting in the back of my mind, gnawing at me: the shape of the container. Every day on the (...) (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Equilateral triangle cross section containers stack ok as long as it's fine for 1/2 of them to be upside down... (in a gravity field, in 0g it may not matter)... IIRC, the containers in Silent Running were tetrahedra. ++Lar (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —James Wilson
      And, for that matter, they could stack end-up. In a low-gravity environment, again, probably an OK practice. (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Michael Rutherford
     Mr. Pieniezak, You grabbed the words right out of my mouth. As you point out, if you were moving containers in space, the “Upside-down” notion is relative. Equilateral triangle cross sections (or consistent trapezoid cross sections for that matter) (...) (18 years ago, 18-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Timothy Gould
     (...) The containers have to reach planet level at some point... where they are carried in the more usual manner ;) Tim (18 years ago, 18-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers —Mark Stafford
   For what it's worth I have built space containers with a rectangular cross section. (URL) I work in shipping, containers are really useful and have really sped up shipping in the last few decades, and space needs more of them! Soren's can be stacked (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)