 Trains / 27139
Re: Anime inspired container train for Soren Roberts containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:22:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, James Wilson wrote:
   That’s one sweet train! Nice job, and that’s pretty quick with the rendering, too! How long has that container been up - a few days?

One thing that’s been sitting in the back of my mind, gnawing at me: the shape of the container. Every day on the way to work I pass a couple of freight container storage yards. The containers are sorted by size/capacity and crammed together as tightly as possible. This container, and other Spacey containers I’ve seen, all have a non-rectangular cross-section, which means they won’t pack as tightly, requiring more space for storage (and mass-transport, for that matter).

But then I realize it’s a TOY! T-O-Y! A child’s PLAYTHING! And whatever works in Space! is fine by me.

Equilateral triangle cross section containers stack ok as long as it’s fine for 1/2 of them to be upside down... (in a gravity field, in 0g it may not matter)... IIRC, the containers in Silent Running were tetrahedra.

++Lar