 Trains / 27025
Re: CN engine WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:08:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   Greetings, Some of you may recognize my name, but probably are wondering if I made a wrong turn onto lugnet.train.

No wrong turn, just a dare from Mat Clayson that I couldn’t build an engine and four cars before he built a Moonbase Module.

So, this is the beginnings of my foray into LEGO trains. Everything is still considered under construction, and comments/advice is welcome, though I maintain the right to say: “eh, it’s just LEGO” to super-detailed NMRA nitpicking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72676187@N00/113612280/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72676187@N00/111525466/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72676187@N00/111525465/in/photostream/

Hope you like them.

Aaron,

If I’m suppossed to try and get my MBM done before your train is done, you better slow down. I’ll have mine by the next SandLUG meeting. I’ll get cracking on this ASAP, but not until after the Thomas the Train event at LL in 1 weeks.

All three of your MOCs look great. The striping looks good on the engine.

And you picked the right engine to add a safty cab to. CN was the first NA railroad to use a safty(wide nose) cab. These were fitted to thier GP38-2(w) and later some GP40 varients. These were developed by CN in cooperation with EMD.
However the CN version has a differrent window arrangement then the later US version.

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery/album54/4800a

EMD liked the idea and developed their own version with the UP and Sante Fe railroads. The only other production GP to carry a safty cab was a GP60 for SF. Otherwise they were an option on SD60 and later and standard on the SD80 and later engines.

As for proportions, to match the CN version I would recomend extending the nose by 1 stud and reducing the front porch, and shortening the cab by 1 or 2 studs. BTW none of the GP38-2(w) were equiped with dynamic brakes (the center flanges and fan on the roof). Also notice the box behind the forward cooling vent. This is for the paper air filters. And it looks like a yellow train baseplate would be more accurate.

Take care,

Mat