 Trains / 27024
Re: CN engine WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:33:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

As a train novice, it is perhaps not entirely my place to comment, but I am very impressed. I would never have guessed this was a beginning; it looks like the work of an experienced train builder. As I’m just starting into trains, myself, seeing this really gives me hope that I might be able to come up with something half as clean and sharp.

I am very impressed by the SNOT striping on the engine, definately not the first solution that comes to my mind, but I can’t think of a better way to do it. The box car looks great, very good use of the waffle plates. I really like the look of the gondola, but I think I’d want more pics of it to get a better idea of its shape.

Excellent work all around.

--Anthony

Anthony, I saw your posts on your Polar Express. Hope you succeed. Glad you like this one. I’d say if you used to be into HO, you’ll do as well as I did (also a model railroader).

I had thought about building the engine in all black, and then have white vinyl stripes made for it (I work at a sign shop with a vinyl plotter). But my wife, ever the optimist of my abilities said that was cheating. She said I’d find a way to build the stripes from LEGO.

The Reefer car was inspired by the waffle plates- instead of the waffle plates being the solution to building a waffle side reefer.

Don’t worry, these are preliminary ‘quick shots’ There will be well-lit, multiple photos later on.

I’m considering building a Montana Rail Link engine as well, but it’s nose stripes are so small, I think vinyl or stickers are going to be the only option. We’ll see.

Aaron