 Trains / 24815
Re: Question on Train Wheel Diameter, Minifig Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:31:19 GMT

Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:
Hi all...

I'm curious about the ratio of LEGO train wheel diameter to the distance between
the rails on LEGO track.  Is the LEGO ratio correct relative to typical
prototypes?  The diameter looks good to me on 6-wides but sometimes it seems too
small on 8-wides (vs. height).  Now I know the 8-wide folks say 8-wide is more
appropriate for the track width so it led me to think maybe the wheel-diameter
to rail-spacing ratio is off.  Or am I just used to looking at 6-wides?

Speaking of scale issues...  I just built 8654, the Scuderia Ferrari Truck
(which I think is a great set, by the way...).  I had expected the mini-figs to
look much too small against it but I was surprised that it doesn't seem that far
off.  Got me thinking about a piggy-back freight car that would look scaled
right against the 8654 trailer (which itself is 10-wide).  And then I thought of
the locomotive that would be pulling it (!)...  Anyone do train stuff on that
kind of scale?  Would you need TLG to make wheelsets with larger diameter
wheels?

Thanks,
Paul

Well, I have not done any math, and it seems clear that LEGO train
wheels are somewhat undersized. Nonetheless I haven't noticed an
aesthetic issue. Here is why I think that is the case. Unless you take
apart your wheels, the shape of the wheelsets causes the wagons or
coaches to be higher than they otherwise should be (if height is based
solely on wheel diameter). So ride height seems to be higher than the
measurements of the wheels would suggest.

The other thing that I have noticed is that wheels on wagons are often
hidden by part of the frame of the wagon. 6-widers can do this because
they can use LEGO train baseplates. On 8-wide wagons, the wheelsets
cannot be hidden. This extra bit of height often vexes me, but it does
make certain that the car doesn't ride too low.

Then again, it could be that my eye isn't as good as everyone else's :)

Chris