 Trains / 24802
Re: Question on Train Wheel Diameter, Minifig Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:04:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:
Hi all...

I'm curious about the ratio of LEGO train wheel diameter to the distance between
the rails on LEGO track.  Is the LEGO ratio correct relative to typical
prototypes?  The diameter looks good to me on 6-wides but sometimes it seems too
small on 8-wides (vs. height).  Now I know the 8-wide folks say 8-wide is more
appropriate for the track width so it led me to think maybe the wheel-diameter
to rail-spacing ratio is off.  Or am I just used to looking at 6-wides?

Speaking of scale issues...  I just built 8654, the Scuderia Ferrari Truck
(which I think is a great set, by the way...).  I had expected the mini-figs to
look much too small against it but I was surprised that it doesn't seem that far
off.  Got me thinking about a piggy-back freight car that would look scaled
right against the 8654 trailer (which itself is 10-wide).  And then I thought of
the locomotive that would be pulling it (!)...  Anyone do train stuff on that
kind of scale?  Would you need TLG to make wheelsets with larger diameter
wheels?

Thanks,
Paul

Standard gauge Track 4' 8 1/2" = 1435mm
Lego track = 38mm
Thus Lego track is about 1/37.8 scale

Lego wheel = 18mm diameter
At 1/37.8 scale this scales to be about 640mm = or 2' 2 3/4"

In the UK at least a standard wagon (truck) wheel is in the 3'2" region, with
coach and loco wheels bigger so the Lego wheel is pretty undersize compared to
the track, at least for the average vehicle. (you do get low ride-height
vehicles with small wheelsets) However the overscale flanges (should be about
2mm as opposed to the 4mm that they are) on the Lego wheels do make them seem
considerably bigger than they are so you can get away with it without it LOOKING
too out of proportion.

All this doesn't take into account the size you build the train to, its just the
relationship between the track gauge and the wheel size.

Tim

PS I think I got the maths right! All dimensions are approximate

Actually I was think after posting that I'm not sure if the track guage is
measured from rail centre to rail centre of from rail inside edge to inside
edge. I assumed inside edge above, if it is from the centres then the wheels are
even smaller to scale with the track gauge.

Tim