 Trains / 24804
Re: Question on Train Wheel Diameter, Minifig Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:17:54 GMT

I agree that the wheels are under-diameter in relation to track gauge (Working
some US numbers: a typical US non low profile freight car wheel might be 36"
which is 3 feet, the (US) track gauge is 56.5" or 4' 8 1/2"  (UK is 4' 8" IIRC)

No, standard gauge is 4' 8 1/2" in the UK and everywhere else in the world as
well. (1)(2) Places such as Russia or Ireland(3) which have broad gauge as their
main gauge might argue that that their's is 'standard' but thats more question
of semantics.
You might have got the UK = 4'8" figure from
http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/003/011gsqfq.asp where he
says the Stockton and Darlington was 4'8" originally but was widened 1/2" to
give more tolerance (slop)

(1) 4' 8 1/2" + gauge widening on curves
(2) Even metric places, they just call it 1435mm!
(3) I chose those places as they don't have (much of) other gauges to confuse
the issue unlike for example; Australia or Portugal.