 Trains / 24800
Re: Question on Train Wheel Diameter, Minifig Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:24:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:
   Hi all...

I’m curious about the ratio of LEGO train wheel diameter to the distance between the rails on LEGO track. Is the LEGO ratio correct relative to typical prototypes?

Not in the slightest. Correct width, assuming standard gauge of 4’ 8.5”, should be 10 wide (or about 1 stud to 1 foot). LEGO train wheels on 10 wides don’t look good, IMO.

   The diameter looks good to me on 6-wides but sometimes it seems too small on 8-wides (vs. height). Now I know the 8-wide folks say 8-wide is more appropriate for the track width so it led me to think maybe the wheel-diameter to rail-spacing ratio is off. Or am I just used to looking at 6-wides?

I don’t really make any distinctions between 6 wide and 8 wide. The are both the same scale; just one is compressed width wise. Remember, a train should be about twice as wide, prototypically speaking, as the track gauge (standard gauge). 6 wides to me are toyish.

   Speaking of scale issues... I just built 8654, the Scuderia Ferrari Truck (which I think is a great set, by the way...). I had expected the mini-figs to look much too small against it but I was surprised that it doesn’t seem that far off. Got me thinking about a piggy-back freight car that would look scaled right against the 8654 trailer (which itself is 10-wide). And then I thought of the locomotive that would be pulling it (!)... Anyone do train stuff on that kind of scale? Would you need TLG to make wheelsets with larger diameter wheels?

Absolutely.

I have built 1 container car that is 12 wide and carries 10 wide containers, but I designed it to use Gauge 1 trucks, to run on gauge 1 track (“G scale” track). I plan on building more in 12 wide, but there are currently too many other coals in the fire right now:-)

I never took pics of it, either, although I built it almost 2 years ago; you can kind of see it on my shelf in this pic (It is next to an unfinished 16 wide bethgon that will probably never get finished...)

As far as scale goes at 12 wide with minifigs-- they are perfect, if you assume that the little guys are, well, little guys (about 4 feet tall). Jack Stone is about the “correct” size for a fig at this scale....

JOHN