 Trains / 246
Re: 1999 Train 4561
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 18:45:27 GMT

Once upon a time, "Matthew Bates" <train_depot@yahoo.com> wrote:

Eric Brok writes:

TLG train designers probably are concerned with making the train look sleek
and fast, and find the old heigth too high for such an impression. Also in
one respect, this results in more prototypical dimensions (heigth-to-with
ratio) than the classic trains.

Actually I think TLG is more concerned about keeping the cost down, reduced
height means reduced piece counts, hence reduced cost. #4561 has significantly
fewer pieces than #4558 Metroliner or #4559 Cargo Train.

I'd guess that TLG is more focused on increasing the playing:building
ratio, in favor of playing.  That means reduced piece counts.  But they
probably count reduced costs as a plus.

The drop-center doesn't affect the floor-to-ceiling height of the
car-box ().  It just reduces the ground-to-floor distance. So there
aren't any reduced materials there.

Steve