 Trains / 247
Re: 1999 Train 4561
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 18:50:11 GMT

Once upon a time, janssenjasper@hotmail.com (Jasper Janssen) wrote:

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:23:11 GMT, "Steve Berry" <steveb@codenet.net>
wrote:

I definitely think this gets to the heart of the plague that is Town Jr.
There's no other explanation for this kind of approach by a
construction/building toy company.  It's hard to believe ABS plastic is
getting that expensive, but I guess it's happening...

Not so much the plastic, I think, as the
molds/design/handling/packaging/box size/shipping charges/etc.etc.etc.

But the *size* of the sets is not being reduced.  If anything, the mass
and size of sets are increasing.  Also, the Town Jr. parts are, on
average, more complex than prior sets.  More-complex dies/molds are more
expensive to create, not less.  Also, if a larger variety of parts are
being produced, the total number of dies is going to increase, driving
up costs.

I think that TLG is following a path that they feel will result in more
profit: some kids really like to build, but to sell more, TLG has to
appeal to other kids; kids who like to build somewhat, and then play
with what they've made.  I'm guessing TLG's marketing research people
are saying that this second group is larger, and potentially more
lucrative.

It still sucks.

Steve