 Trains / 24080
Re: Wire routing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:35:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
It has been a really long time since I've posted in .trains seeking help! (maybe
never, I forget) :)

So, anyway, here's the sitch. I have a diesel loco I am building. As many of you
know, I usually don't use baseplates (and since this one needs striping it's not
an option anyway) so I have a built up floor/frame.

But I want to light it up with a 9V bulb. I am having trouble devising a wire
routing from the motor into the body that doesn't cause the motor bogie to
resist turning freely. The issue seems to be that the wire strands are
horizontal and thus resist horizontal flex more than vertical. Most routings off
a motor (and I'm constrained because I have a detailed interior with Diesel
engine and generator set) seem to want to be horizontal...

If you've done a wire routing that you think is good and have a pointer to a CAD
or photo for it, it would be appreciated. I've scanned BrickShelf instructions
but most of those are either single truck (no help) or two truck with baseplates
(also no help)...

I can figure this out! It's not that. I'm just lazy and would rather put the two
hours into a different part of the project, so I am seeing if the "internet can
do my homework for me". :)

In my wider trains I usually include a 1x4 hole in the cab floor and have the
wire connecting to the motor with the connector at the same end of the motor as
the coupling.  The 1x4 slot gives enough room for the bogies of a loco of bogie
wheelbase 40-ish studs to turn freely up to the limit required by a continuous
curve, with the wire going up through the cab floor, along into the engine room
and down through the other cab to the motor on the other bogie.  Of course most
locos have just one cab in the US :-)

Of course in 6-wide with a 4-wide body you want a wall above where the slot
needs to be.  I suggest using the panel pieces (1x2 tile with a lip to brick
height) upside down at the bottom of the wall to allow you to hid ethe 4-wide
slot in the base and give you a nearly 4-wide slot for 2 plates height above it.
The required SNOT is not easy without studs protruding above the panel pieces,
but that'll be fun to work out :-)  For that I suggest a 2x4 plate to hold the
panels, with the 1x1 clip plates with opposing studs being used inside the loco
to hold the plate upside down.

I've successfully tried a scheme with panels to get wires round a 71427 motor
inside a 6-wide body.

Mark