 Trains / 23576
Re: DCC Controlled Signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:20:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
   The latest in trackside geekness:

Photos and commentary are available at MOCpages.

Cheers, Mark

Mark,

these builds are, as always, awsome.

Thanks, Mat!

   One question, do the 4 outputs on the quad conroller have a common return path on the controler? I.E. 5 output wires or 8? Also, are the 4 outputs indepentantly conrolled or only 1 at a time?

There are 5 wires for the lights. The common is positive voltage with respect to the 4 output wires. Each light is independently controllable, you could even blink them to simulate certain real world signal conditions.

Here’s a link to the DCC controller I used:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_statdec_tf4.php

The picture shows how small it is. There’s also a link to a small PDF file with wiring diagrams, etc...

   I’ve yet to dive into DCC, but I’m curiouse to now what’s avalible.

Check out the rest of the site linked above, there’s lots of interesting information.

   Do you plan to have these as part of a programed sequence, or indepentantly concrolled by remote( seems a bit painfull with RCX)?

The goal is to use these for an automated layout. Right now, I’m controlling the signals manually with the RCX remote control (which is a pain, like you say). I’d also like to come up with software for semi-automated operation where an RCX is used to sense if a train is in the track segment ahead and only gives a green light when that track section clears. There are lots of ideas to glean from the various DCC model railroading sites out there, so little time!

Mark