 Trains / 23579
Re: DCC Controlled Signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:33:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Horst Lehner wrote:
Both the red and green light are controlled through just two wires. If
you apply 12V DC one of the lights will come on. If you reverse polarity,
the other will come on. So, only one can be on at a a time, unless you
apply AC. But I think it makes no sense to light both red and green at
the same time anyway. I don't know how suitable such a red/green light
brick would be for DCC applications.

Could you use a "bi-color" LED this way?  Polarity one way, light is red.
Polarity the other way, light is green.  Polarity alternating, yellow!

(Ok, that last part is probably a pipe-dream... <grin>)

Can DCC output a voltage with either polarity, or are you limited to one?

JohnG, GMLTC
-- still learning about DCC

I was thinking of something similar. Using 2 outputs you could control a 3 lead
Bicolor LED. Or with a small NAND gate as well, you could use the 2 lead style
LED that you mention. If you don't mind the LED always being on it only takes
one output.

Or you could use a DCC motor controler, which does allow you to reverse 2 wires.
Combine it with the light out output and you can get blinking as well.

But I don't think this is worthwhile with RCX control. But with a nice DCC
controler, or with automated control it will be great.

Keep us posted Mark.

Mat