 Trains / 23583
Re: DCC Controlled Signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:27:53 GMT

Could you use a "bi-color" LED this way?  Polarity one way, light is red.
Polarity the other way, light is green.  Polarity alternating, yellow!

You can get 3 colour LEDs that are designed to work that way.  Not sure, but
think they are orange as 3rd colour though.

(Ok, that last part is probably a pipe-dream... <grin>)

Can DCC output a voltage with either polarity, or are you limited to one?

Yes it can, motor outputs are reversing.  So, using any stationary decoder that
can power reversing switch machines would work (IE from digitrax, all of them.
DS44,DS54,DS52 will all power like that.  (both directions).  I think that DS54
can be used in a pulsed mode that would give you a AC like wave form, but are
not 100%.  Otherwise, I know that Digitrax make some signaling decoders that
might work even better.  However, with all of the above, you are getting into
more wires than a Lego layout justifies, IMO.  The advantage of loosing the
wiring gets slimmer the more stationary items you have wired up.  My OO layout
has a lot of wiring for it, but is designed around computer dispatched
trains...so, I am going to end up with 30 blocks for trains, all detected.  (and
12 of the blocks having transponding...).  So, I haven't saved much on wiring,
but the programming is easier to get automatic train looping to work.

James