 Trains / 23582
Re: DCC Controlled Signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:34:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Horst Lehner wrote:

   On the other hand, the reduced wiring clutter would be a clear advantage, given the amount of remote controlled stuff I usually have in my layouts ...

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/bahn/Layout2003:04.JPG

Hi Horst, that’s a great picture. Yeah, that’s what I’ve been striving for, a layout of roughly that complexity and automation, but without nearly as many wires. The remote controllers (along the bottom of the picture) being replaced by the RCX remote control and/or software on a laptop.

MSLTC has some interesting photos of a laptop controlled switching yard (note the screen of the laptop):

I’m interested in pursuing that kind of software to control DCC switches, signals, and other railyard gizmos.

Generally, in non-LEGO model railroading, the layouts are more permanent in nature (even the modular layouts) and you can hide all your wiring underneath the layout. However, with LEGO things are more fluid as layouts can be changed around very easily, so hiding the wires under the layout is not as much of an option. Powering and controlling DCC accessories directly off the track makes the building of an automated layout much more modular (i.e. much more LEGO-like).

Cheers,

Mark