 Trains / 23577
Re: DCC Controlled Signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:38:44 GMT

Hi everybody,

Mark Riley wrote:
I think I've seen some old 12V LEGO train stuff
on Brickshelf with just red and green signals.

Correct. 7860 is the set number. A quick Google search turned up mostly
auctions and sales pages, no useful description of this set, so here go
some basics for the interested ...

Both the red and green light are controlled through just two wires. If
you apply 12V DC one of the lights will come on. If you reverse polarity,
the other will come on. So, only one can be on at a a time, unless you
apply AC. But I think it makes no sense to light both red and green at
the same time anyway. I don't know how suitable such a red/green light
brick would be for DCC applications.

Given the fact that I know how hard it will be to modify 12V train motors
for DCC I don't plan to go into DCC any time soon. On the other hand, the
reduced wiring clutter would be a clear advantage, given the amount of
remote controlled stuff I usually have in my layouts ...

  <http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/bahn/Layout2003:04.JPG>

Greetings

Horst