 Trains / 23339
Re: Reversing Loop without Insulated Tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 06:48:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   Many of us are more interested in the trains running (remember that the name of the group, after all, is not lugnet.electrical).

(snip)

   Considering how little overlap there seems to be between hard-core Train AFOLs and people with lots of electrical experience, I’d think you’d be less dismissive of any input provided by people with electrical experience even if they aren’t as interested in the trains as they are in the electrical problems.

I have to say that I am the opposite of dismissive in this case. I didn’t follow most of what was said (electricity-wise) during this discussion. I’m a pretty bright guy, but for some reason, electronics make my brain hurt. I’m grateful that there are folks for whom circuitry is fun.

I think I’ve pushed the envelope as much as anyone electrically WRT LEGO trains, but I always have to concentrate very hard to do it, and I often have questions that are odd to answer, due to the non-overlap you mentioned. When I go to the electronics shop and try to talk about model trains, it always takes a lot of explaining to make them understand what I’m trying to do. And when I go to the model train shop to try to ask about electronics, they almost always refer me to “Bob. He’s our expert on electronics. He comes in every third Thursday in months with an R in them.”

So anyway. Thanks for your input. As I said, I didn’t follow most of it, but I caught enough that I’ll remember that the explanation is here if I ever need it. (And I’ll know who to email, the next time I’m electrically stuck...)

Rick Clark