 Trains / 23337
Re: Reversing Loop without Insulated Tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:25:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   Many of us are more interested in the trains running (remember that the name of the group, after all, is not lugnet.electrical).

Yeah, I kinda figured that out on my own, thanks. I just felt it would be prudent to point out that I am not one of those people, so that I wouldn’t be the subject of false assumptions. Well, no more than usual, at least...

   The electrical stuff is just a way to get trains to do their thing, in my view and hence, less interesting. Others DO find this interesting and have done a lot of actual research and documentation to advance the hobby which I for one am very grateful for.

Considering how little overlap there seems to be between hard-core Train AFOLs and people with lots of electrical experience, I’d think you’d be less dismissive of any input provided by people with electrical experience even if they aren’t as interested in the trains as they are in the electrical problems. Oh wait, that’s right. None of my experience counts in your eyes unless I provide specific details:

1. I helped rewire about half of a friend’s house during college 2. I spent two years working on the college theatre’s light crew, dealing with 50 and 100 amp circuits and 500-100 watt fixtures, and often custom-building “practicals” (with both serial and parallel wiring) into the sets themselves. 3. I provided the lighting design for two plays, including laying out the circuit hookups and drafting the light plots. 4. I spent most of my summers working for the college maintenance department, often fixing electrical fixtures in both 120v and 240v systems. 5. I’ve rewired a 3-phase vac pump and a 3-phase 7.5hp table saw motor. 6. I rewired a CNC to 5-axis capability, even though the control system can only handle four axes (and the only major problem there was that my boss ordered the wrong relay switch).

   But I’m not sure idle speculation by the uninformed is all that useful, really.

How very fortunate that I am genuinely interested in solving this puzzle, and, thanks in part to your overly-technical explanation and in part to the fact that I’m a very quick study, I am no longer “uninformed”...

   That said, the electrical puzzle IS touched on by the reversing loop writeups I suggested you seek out, but I guess you wouldn’t know that since you apparently didn’t do so.

It was after 1am when I got started and I wasn’t going to spend hours doing research at that time of night. Besides, I figured it was a safe bet that if even you hadn’t seen Ville’s idea used before, it probably wasn’t directly covered by any of these writeups you alluded to, and I was able to glean enough information from other posts in the thread that it seemed irrelevent to the problem at hand.

   It’s easy enough to discount this possibility if you just do a little research(1) before you start speculating. There are a number of disassembly photo series out there that make LEGO train motor internals quite clear.

That’s not relevent to the idea I proposed, and you know it.

   Snipped the rest.

...thereby ignoring the main point of the post. I drew you a couple of pictures, so my explanation will be easier to understand:

Maybe they’ll manage to catch your eye a little easier before you can snip them away in your reply...