 Trains / 23326
Re: Reversing Loop without Insulated Tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:39:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
   Yes, that is correct. The electrical contact is not made by the switching section of rail. I doubt you would cause any damage to the motors - any damage would be to the controller. They seem to be pretty tolerant electrically, but as Lar said, continued shorting, even if momentary, may eventually cause damage.

I’m not a big Train-head, so I’m trying to figure out where the problem is from various bits of this discussion. Is the problem that one pair of wheels is connected to power flowing in one direction and the other is connected to power flowing in the other direction, or is it that one pair of wheels is under power while the other is not? If it’s the former, the short leg between the A and B points shouldn’t be charged at all until you manually switch the A point, right? If it’s the latter, maybe you could get away with setting the B point to curved and building a manually activated gate that will switch it to straight after the entire motor bogey has passed through it, thereby cutting the power to both wheel pairs at the same time.