 Trains / 23139
Re: What's the longest distance your train has run?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:57:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   ... So my question - what’s the longest distance one of your trains has run during a show? One of the kids watching the layout timed my SD-50 around the layout, and I did a little math and came up with the fact that it traveled over 28 miles (45 kilometers) Saturday & Sunday. 9 hours Saturday with just a couple of brief stops to re-rail train cars or re-attach cars that got uncoupled, and another 6 hours on Sunday with just a couple more brief stops. I kept telling people I was going to “run it till it stopped”, and it just didn’t stop!

JohnG, GMLTC

I like the SD50.

The outer circuit main line of my layout measures 13.53m (90 straights + 16 curves). The speed of the train is 2mph around this circuit, a scale speed of 78mph in 8mm:1ft scale (the maximum speed at which no derailments occur). At exhibitions I typically run for half an hour at a time, then switch trains to avoid overheating. My aim is to make the motors last a long time, and there is also the point that the public might like to see different trains!

The train might do 50% of the work on that circuit over two 8 hour days, so that’s 8 hours’ running per exhibition, or 16 miles. I guess that means your motors will wear out twice as fast as mine :-)

I usually have 3 trains on the outer circuit, 4 on the inner circuit, with another two in the yard loops and two more in the sidings. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=77382

I have taken other measures to extend motor life, by doubling up on motors, with a wire between the two on each loco. The train in question has four motors, all connected. This helps with load sharing and also redundancy of contacts in case one motor loses power when crawling over a switch.

Theoretically, you could just sit a motor on a circle of track and leave it with the controller on full power. This would do about 125mph scale speed in 8mm:1ft scale, 3.28mph, so that’s 78.74 miles in 24 hours. A motor on its own might not wear out like a motor in a train, since the load is smaller. I wonder how far TLC has run train motors to test their life? Presumably they were designed with a certain characteristic life in mind, to optimise cost?

If you want to avoid decoupling problems (I’ve previously had locos decouple, run round the track and hit the detached train!), replace the two coupling shoes with a technic 5L 4mm wide liftarm and two dark grey connector pegs. This is great for permanent rakes of wagons, but not for the loco if you want to swap trains. I find it particularly useful because my trains are heavier than 6-wide ones and so have more friction. The Pendolino train pulls 1 Amp of current at about 8 Volts.

Mark