 Trains / 23126
Re: What's the longest distance your train has run?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   The GMLTC was in Moorhead, Minnesota for the 27th Annual Scandinavian Hjemkomst Festival last weekend.

We had a straight-line layout, they had us set up in a long hallway so we used six straight modules with a couple empty tables, and left two corner modules in the trailer. We had just over 100’ of track in a long ‘dogbone’ setup.

So my question - what’s the longest distance one of your trains has run during a show? One of the kids watching the layout timed my SD-50 around the layout, and I did a little math and came up with the fact that it traveled over 28 miles (45 kilometers) Saturday & Sunday. 9 hours Saturday with just a couple of brief stops to re-rail train cars or re-attach cars that got uncoupled, and another 6 hours on Sunday with just a couple more brief stops.

So you’re not counting stops, just total distance travelled? MichLTC tends to rotate trains in and out of service a lot so that no one train runs the whole time, making us not a contender.

But if total distance travelled during a show is the criterion, I’m betting that a show that spans more than two days is going to be the source of a train that wins. Further, the layout size doesn’t really matter, as it’s just more cycles around a shorter layout vs. less around a longer one.

My money would be on one of the layouts that ran for many days... either at mall “clubhouses” or as part of Christmas layouts (NCLTC’s mall layout perhaps? or the Shrine layout this last holiday?)

   I kept telling people I was going to “run it till it stopped”, and it just didn’t stop!

Ya, LEGO is great that way. The only thing that stopped one of my trains was that the bogie plate pin on a car finally wore (from rotation) enough to just shear off.