 Trains / 23127
Re: What's the longest distance your train has run?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:45:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   The GMLTC was in Moorhead, Minnesota for the 27th Annual Scandinavian Hjemkomst Festival last weekend.

We had a straight-line layout, they had us set up in a long hallway so we used six straight modules with a couple empty tables, and left two corner modules in the trailer. We had just over 100’ of track in a long ‘dogbone’ setup.

So my question - what’s the longest distance one of your trains has run during a show? One of the kids watching the layout timed my SD-50 around the layout, and I did a little math and came up with the fact that it traveled over 28 miles (45 kilometers) Saturday & Sunday. 9 hours Saturday with just a couple of brief stops to re-rail train cars or re-attach cars that got uncoupled, and another 6 hours on Sunday with just a couple more brief stops. I kept telling people I was going to “run it till it stopped”, and it just didn’t stop!

At last year’s Festival of Trees here in Atlanta, the NGLTC had a small 6’x6’ loop set up under our tree display. I had originally thought that the festival would shut down the power each night during the 9 day festival, thus giving the train a break, I was wrong. The power stayed on 24 hours for 9 days, so our train ran the entire time. On the last day it was running a bit slower but it was still running. I think the joints on the couplers showed the most wear, other than that it worked like a charm.

jt