 Trains / 23128
Re: What's the longest distance your train has run?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:48:26 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:

[snipped]

So my question - what's the longest distance one of your trains has run
during a show?  One of the kids watching the layout timed
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JohnG/8wide/sd50withdecals.jpg my SD-50>
around the layout, and I did a little math and came up with the fact that it
traveled over [28 miles] (45 kilometers) Saturday & Sunday.  9 hours Saturday
with just a couple of brief stops to re-rail train cars or re-attach cars
that got uncoupled, and another 6 hours on Sunday with just a couple more
brief stops.

[snipped]

My money would be on one of the layouts that ran for many days... either at mall
"clubhouses"  or as part of Christmas layouts (NCLTC's mall layout perhaps? or
the Shrine layout this last holiday?)

I am not sure what the total distance was, nor would I want to calculate
it (1); however, it was my metroliner that ran the outer loop at the
shrine show.  Nearly 40 days, non-stop during the operating hours, same
direction, almost full throttle.  Paul's train ran the inner loop with
similar conditions.

The motor still ran when I got it back, but the contacts on one side
were about 98% worn through.  I ended up soldering some wire in place of
the contact, but it just doesn't run well anymore.

I am not positive, but I believe that I HAD modified the metroliner
wheelsets.  This might skew the results a bit, since the cars roll much
easier after the mod.

// Joe
(1) cause I am lazy  :)