 Trains / 23137
Re: What's the longest distance your train has run?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:44:06 GMT

"Bill Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message news:I01Cus.1vIB@lugnet.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

BayLTC is currently in the midst of a month-long display at a local • history
museum that is running a special exhibit on trains.  Since we are • operating it
five days a week, much of that unattended except by museum docents, we set • it up
on a timer which runs it during the museum hours, with a duty cycle of 20 • minuts
on, 10 minutes off, to prevent overheating.  It'll be interesting to see • what
shape the trains are in at the end of the exhibit, just the same.

--Bill.

We (NCLTC) have done two Christmas layouts at a local mall.  The first year
we did it (2002) the trains ran from December 1st until the weekend after
New Years Day for a total of about 35 days.  This past year (2003) the
trains ran from the weekend before Thanksgiving until mid-January (around
the 15th or so), probably close to a total of 50 days.

In each case we had three loops running and I had set them on timers so they
wouldn't run all the time.  The mall was open from 8:00 AM until 9:00 PM and
I set the trains to run from 7:30 AM until 9:30 PM.  Originally each train
would run for about 45-50 minutes with a 10 minute break but I changed it so
each train stopped only three times (for about 15 minutes) during the course
of a 14 hour day.  Three  breaks seemed to be plenty to allow for any
heating problems.

In 2002 I was pretty diligent about going by the mall and swapping different
trains in and out so no one train ran an excessive amount.  However in 2003
I was not quite as good about it, in fact, I think I only changed the trains
once and it was early in the event.  Several of my trains probably ran for
11-12 hours a day, 7 days a week for close to 40 days.  The trians which ran
both the 2002 and 2003 show do have quite a bit of wear, particularly on the
bogie plates.  There is a lot of plastic dust on many of my trains as well.
I burned out one motor, I haven't taken it apart to see what is wrong with
it.  Other than the wear and the one motor, everything else worked out fine.
The timers worked out great.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com