 Trains / 20882
Re: Combines and loads (was Re: New poster by Larry Pieniazek/MTW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:04:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

Ok, from the 1024x768 poster I was not too sure about it: I just saw the 6-wide
cabin and the 2 studs mudgear on each side of it.

A bit of trickery there... :-) The cab is 6 wide at the top (the hinged part)
but the stationary part is only 5 wide, using tiles to handle the mismatch. The
stationary part sits on a 6 wide plate base which is offset 1/2 stud from the
frame, and sticks out one stud only on one side.

THAT side takes the step unit, which is removed in shipment mode, but it means
the whole cab (as long as the lights are folded in for shipment too) is only 6.5
wide  (and that .5 is skewed so it's only on one side) without the step
(mudguard is what you thought it is).

Obviously these are wider than
the body of the machinery. In this case I agree: it fits to your car (and would
even fit better to "my" 7-wide cars (getting back on topic of splitting
hairs...;-))

Ya ya...

What sort of things should such a head have? I don't know heads all that well.

Check out this side:
http://www.harvesting.com/combine/cat/photos/ralf.html
I like the dirt and the halftrack combine in the mud....
Harvesting grain happens in late october which might mean it takes place after a
rainy period (at least that's the average weather in Germany...).

I thought about doing a Claas model because they have a lot of nifty features.
But then I realised how much lime green I'd need, and came to my senses.

old - from the beginning of my 7-wide carieer):

Yep. "Older" meaning it's an older prototype, not that you modeled it ages ago.
It's sweet.

I like this model of mine a lot. Reminds me on my childhood and I think it uses
lots of quite complicated building techniques.
For eg. it can rise up and down the cutting table in the front as well as the
"spindle" above it. And I enjoyed to build it not parallel to the ground, but in
a mix of different angles and widths (4-wide, 5-wide + 6wide).

All part of why I like it too. Different angles always add visual interest, as
do moving parts.

For another LEGO® combine you might want to check out this site:
http://sfall.bei.t-online.de/Lego/Drescher/DrescherStart.htm
That guy has lots of up-to-date farming stuff from Germany in a typical
oldfashioned village style around.

Yup, I've seen that site before, it's awesome. This particular combine of Ralf's
features a trailer for the head, something I considered modeling but chose not
to, as the MTW-1005 set is a monster as it is... the instructions run to 50
pages!

There are some other really great LEGO farm sites out there too if you look
around. I particularly enjoyed the orchard sprayer equipment (and I got some
pics taken of my Big Green stuff pulling orchard sprayers, it was all
interchangable) that Matt Chiles did (Jeremy Rear also provided some tractors)

This thread will find you the pics of their stuff (not with mine though)
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1694

I personally got the combine jones because my father in law's new wife is part
of a Colorado dry wheat farming family, they have 3 combines and a big machine
shop to support them, and in harvest season combine their own 10,000 acres plus
about 20-30 thousand acres of their neighbors, those combines run non stop for
weeks.

But they're Allis Chalmers fans. Dull silver is not available in realistic
quantities and grey just didn't do it for me. So I nosed around for who had what
colors (after ruling out John Deere's Big Green for parts shortage reasons) and
ended up choosing red and white which is close enough to Massey Ferguson that I
can claim that if I wanted to.