 Trains / 20871
20870  |  20872
Subject:
Combines and loads (was Re: New poster by Larry Pieniazek/MTW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

Hi Larry,

I do not want to split hairs,

That's OK... I love splitting hairs!

but a - more or less - 10wide

Rather LESS! :-) The combine body, when loaded on the drop center flat has to
fit through the same tunnel on my layout that my previous MTW-1004 Transformer
on Drop Center model has to fit through. So the body, when rigged for travel
(meaning some of the things that stick out are removed and stowed for shipment,
just like in real life), is just a smidgeon over 8 wide. The only place where
it's over is by the thickness of the clip parts of a 1x1 plate with top clip,
minus half a plate because it's on a recessed hatch, and that only on one side.

Similarly, the combine head (and tyres) when loaded on the other flat, is also
(almost) within 8 wide dimensions.

combine on a 6-wide
car?!

Rather MORE! It's a "nominal 6 wide" but like many of my models, it has things
that stick out a bit beyond 6... in this case 6 wide plus the thickness of two
tiles along the sides.

That would mean a 5 meters combine on a 3 meters train car. Are American
combines that big?!

No. Not really. It's a bit of artistic license even to have a 4:3 overhang ratio
(which is about what it is in this case)

Ok, the main body might measure only 8 wide and that might
fit....

You could theoretically do a different head and as long as you matched the gear
position and pin position it would all work.

Yeah - for e.g. a corn head would be nice.

What sort of things should such a head have? I don't know heads all that well.
My older combines I just went with 6 axles for one head and gear wheels for the
other.

http://www.fgltc.org/events/003/pi171.jpg
Cool. That one reminds me of the Designer set combine. I can't possibly imagine
taking stuff that old outside though!

Speaking of combines, I've always liked that older gray one of yours... (I can't
lay my finger on it at the momemt but I know you did one once) US antiques look
similar.

Certainly you are speaking of this one - a "Claas Europe" (not more than 2 years
old - from the beginning of my 7-wide carieer):

Yep. "Older" meaning it's an older prototype, not that you modeled it ages ago.
It's sweet.