 Trains / 20771
  Question about the new trains

I was hoping someone who has bought the new trains (4511 High Speed Train or 4512 Cargo Train) could answer this question. Have the wheels been fixed? I hope LEGO has sorted out the problem with them sticking, but considering the way quality control (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) Good question! I've been wondering this myself. I just recently went through the grueling process of filing down the plastic in all 28 gray wheel-sets of my Santa Fe Kit. What an improvement! I got the train set last fall and the first time I (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

IMHO, the problem lies in this theory: * The axles are made of metal. * Metal is harder than plastic. * When putting metal in direct contact with plastic, the plastic will wear. * Check the spot where the point of the metal axle meets the plastic (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) ... (...) ... I also filed down enough wheels to make a six car Santa Fe successfully negotiate a 'dog-bone' torture track (all curves) on a low regulator speed, with one motor. Like Paul, I thought I had it all figured out. This weekend, I (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) Yikes! Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check this out on my wheel-sets. If this is true it means that over time I'll be back in the same mess again! From Cary Clark's reply to my post it sounds like this could be the case that perhaps the (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) ... (...) ... I don't think so. We've been running some of the same trains at NCLTC for nine shows (some shows for over a month), and the well-run trains still work. The undercarriage is well-worn where the bogies touch the plates, but the (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) In fixing my wheelsets, I've observed that the gray wheelsets are made of a softer (more butter-like) plastic. Instead of a file, I use a hobby knife to cut out a small portion of the frame where the rubbing occurs. It's easier to cut the gray (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote: snip I use (...) Please post some pictures. I'd much rather spend time cutting than filing. Brian (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) I have contacted LEGO regarding this issue as I was disappointed with the rolling status of the Sante-Fe wheels. LEGO said that if I wanted to they would exchange my wheels for new ones (one-to-one) and I would have to mail them in but that at (...) (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) I have had the new Train sets 4511 and 4512 for two weeks now and can report that the problem with the train wheels rubbing is not apparent with these two sets. I actually bought two of 4511 so as to make a decent length train. Grahame (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

Here you go: (URL) basicly cut one or two slivers off of each of the four places where the wheel can rub against the frame. Folder when moderated: (...) filing. (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

I might add: Use a rocking motion with the knife to get it to cut smoothly without having to use undue pressure... Mark (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) Mark, Thanks for the excellent pics. I'm gonna work on my wheel sets just as soon as I get home tonight. Brian (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Question about the new trains

(...) What is the number to contact Lego? I have the same problem with a couple of Mot trains. Do you first send the used ones, or do you wait for the new ones and then send the old ones? Steve. (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Question about the new trains

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote: Hi Rob, additinally to your theory there is another problem with the wheelsets: they are partly moulded wrong, as you easiely can recognise in this picture (2 URLs) Jake has told us long ago this was a mistake by (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, FTX)