 Trains / 20117
Re: Some new rolling stock in 7-wide.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 21:44:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

1)
This is a steam engine after the German "Baureihe 24" (BR24).

Nicely done, and very faithful to the prototype.  I am really going to study
your techniques of utilizing multiple drivers, because there are some steam
trains that I want to model. (standing on the shoulders of giants:-)

Hi John!

Thanks for your kind words, but if you are in search for a master concerning
multiple drive wheels, so check out HoMa's pages. His Big Boy has some trouble
in narrower curves and points, but his other engines are partly much longer
than my so far biggest steam engine (the BR 50 with 2-10 wheel arrangement).

[hopper + gaps]
It is indeed a nicely detailed MOC, but I fear you are correct in your gap
assessment.  In this case, even though you have incredibly captured that subtle
slope, the gap makes us think that you simply haven't pressed your bricks
together well enough.  I actually just faced a very similar design problem in
my latest MOC.  It is a Husky stack container car:
http://www.trainweb.org/nwrp/bn/bn64166a-1.jpg
Notice the subtle slope along the bottom of the car-- I ended up just ignoring
it.  Some things are just too difficult given our physical limitations of the
medium (the bricks)

Looks really hard to model as well..... For some cases roof top pieces in 22°
might work to add an extra edge. For the hopper they didn't, because the face
sides have to be sloped as well.

[snip]
4)
Not completely finished has been this tri-axle prussian passenger car. As long
time readers will know, this one is heaviely influenced by the great designs
of Cal Luetjens and Steven Barile
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18928

I love those rounded bottoms (talking about trains here people;-)

You know, I have to chuckle to myself when I see your 7 wides, because I know
how hard it is working in odd widths, and I think "why doesn't he just made
them 8 wide instead?  It would be so much easier!" :-)

I know this is beating a dead horse, but you asked for it... ;-))

In the first thought you might be correct, but 8-wide would be more volume and
more volume means need for more details again... And I think the models above
are good examples to show the advantages of "my way" to model in 7wide: the
models still have the feel of the 6wide stuff, but the one extra stud means
lots more of realism, because the train is now wider than the gauge, but the
height is still exactely the same as used by TLC. Only length is somewhat
increased and the relatio between height and width is more prototypical. In
result the trains are  light enough to pull 5 waggons or even much more with
one engine and they look quite good even in curved track areas.

And yes: my 7 wides are far too small in comparison to track gauge and minifigs
size (width and even height) - 8 wide would be much nicer. But I think the
Legoland is big enough for 6-wide, 8wide and the golden middle inbetween. ;-)

But even if the 6-w 8-w discussion seems to be faught out already, there are
always some new points of view to be found. Remember the "train troll"
discussion? I think it ended with some surprising new arguments.

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18841

And in my eyes even more surprising: after some trouble with Harvey about
leaving out the 7 wides, his second poll became a really interesting one:
http://members.lugnet.com/polls/results/?n=127

There are more seven wide builders around than 8-wide builders. So John, when
will you do your first train in seven wide? Maybe I consider to do a 8-wide
afterwards.....

Leg Godt!

Ben

But it is a credit and
a compliment to your building skill!  And HoMa, if you are reading this-- you
are fired from the job of convincing Ben to build 8 wide-- he remains
unconvinced!  Perhaps I will have to hire Dirk....:-)

At least Dirk's chances are higher, since we meet more often. He is nearly a
neighbour of mine sine I moved to Göttingen in February (Dirk works here and
lives 25 km west).