 Trains / 20100
Re: Some new rolling stock in 7-wide.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 14:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Hi Folks,

after a longer creative break I have heaviely come back into the middle of the
train theme now. Some new models - all of them are not too huge, but
nevertheless  they are quite detailed - have now been uploaded at brickshelf
and will be hopefully through the moderation quite soon.

1)
This is a steam engine after the German "Baureihe 24" (BR24).

Nicely done, and very faithful to the prototype.  I am really going to study
your techniques of utilizing multiple drivers, because there are some steam
trains that I want to model. (standing on the shoulders of giants:-)

2)
This hopper was a project, which ran over several months, but never found a
satisfieing solution for the frame of the waggons undercarriage. Second thing
to cause trouble has been the kind of 3 edges in longitudinal direction in the
body of the car. I tried to catch that effect with hinges as far as possible.
Now the waggon has partly slightly sloped side walls. But in result there are
some disturbing gaps at the face sides.

It is indeed a nicely detailed MOC, but I fear you are correct in your gap
assessment.  In this case, even though you have incredibly captured that subtle
slope, the gap makes us think that you simply haven't pressed your bricks
together well enough.  I actually just faced a very similar design problem in
my latest MOC.  It is a Husky stack container car:
http://www.trainweb.org/nwrp/bn/bn64166a-1.jpg

Notice the subtle slope along the bottom of the car-- I ended up just ignoring
it.  Some things are just too difficult given our physical limitations of the
medium (the bricks)

3)
Nearly the same as 2), but in a rarer colour brown and in a less complicated
building style. But on the other hand without the ugly gaps, so I am really
pleased with this one as well.

Very nice looking, and close to the prototype in that brown as well.

4)
Not completely finished has been this tri-axle prussian passenger car. As long
time readers will know, this one is heaviely influenced by the great designs
of Cal Luetjens and Steven Barile
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18928

I love those rounded bottoms (talking about trains here people;-)

You know, I have to chuckle to myself when I see your 7 wides, because I know
how hard it is working in odd widths, and I think "why doesn't he just made
them 8 wide instead?  It would be so much easier!" :-)  But it is a credit and
a compliment to your building skill!  And HoMa, if you are reading this-- you
are fired from the job of convincing Ben to build 8 wide-- he remains
unconvinced!  Perhaps I will have to hire Dirk....:-)

JOHN