 Trains / 20065
Re: SCLTC - Fullerton Railroad Days - May 3-4, 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 05:24:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Rick Clark writes:
In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Thomas Michon writes:
I've noticed that when you post to a specific newsgroup, it filters up the
tree anyway, when you view it in LUGNET, and since some people complain
about cross-posting, I decided to trim my posts to .scltc and .announce.

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's better to err on the side of
posting to *more* newsgroups for an initial message (assuming the post is
appropriate to each newsgroup, of course), and then setting the follow ups to
*less* newsgroups (or to one).

Yes! This is exactly the desired practice, in my view.

I've (re?) included trains.org but set FUT back to the group that in my
view, is best to host the particular discussion (of Fullerton Railroad
Days...), the group specific to the SCLTC organization.

Wide cross posting of an initial post is a good thing, it gains exposure.
NOT setting followups correctly, is bad. Here, for example, is a canonical
example of how NOT to do it:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=600

Several of the original groups have no (or only the most tenuous) connection
to the topic, and the FUTs are barely less wide than the original group
list! Some posters in their followups trim, some don't. AND the trimmers
trim to different places. It's a big mess.

The original poster should have known better, but in this particular case,
has demonstrated in the past that he doesn't. The best time to set FUT
correctly is at the very beginning of the thread, in my view.

Hope that helps.