 Trains / 19626
Re: 0-4-0 Switcher
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
I smell another poster! What a great engine! Wonderful detail, has a compact
yet strong look. After spending a ton of time designing my last steamer from
scratch, I was wondering if you got any instructions! This is one that I'd
love to run on my layout! Are there any gotcha (hard to find) elements?

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:

[snip]
[snip]

Thanks, Steve!

I'm planning on working on the LDRAW file for it this weekend.  As for gotcha
pieces, there really aren't any that are too bad.  Here's what I came up with:

(1) you need 44-studs worth of those curved 1x2x1.3 black bricks - I used a
combination of parts 6081 and 6091.  As of two weeks ago, I had pretty much
wiped out the North American bricklink supply of them, but maybe various shops
have restocked by now :P

(2) I made use of two of part 3359 for greebling pipes and stacks up on top,
but those are definitely not critical.

(3)  Finally, the train motor I used had the two tabs on one end broken off
(what are those for, anyway?  Do they serve some purpose that I've been
blissfully ignorant of?).  You can see where the steam cylinders in front
are flush against the leading face of the motor - I've been working on two ways
to avoid this problem so that one need not break the tabs, but I don't love
either of them so far: one is to extend the chassis by a stud to provide space
for them, but I have to say that I really like the compact form it currently
has.  The other option is to modify the steam cylinder to accomodate the tab,
but it doesn't look nearly as smooth.  I'll keep brainstorming for ideas that
purists might find more palatable.

That's about it though ... like I said, I hope to model it this weekend.

Thanks again for the comments!

-s