 Trains / 19590
Re: 0-4-0 Switcher
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:22:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:

You've captured the spirit nicely, and the waving of the arms in the drive
rods area is to be understood. My only criticism would be the use of spoked
wheels on the tender... the prototype used much more conventional trucks
with frames and outside bearings.

That's good to know - I have no problem switching (ha ha) the wheelsets out for
the accurate style - once I get some more of the standard train wheels!  I'm
tapped flush out :(

Most of your "proto" pics are in fact of that HO model I was referring to,
it's been done by many manufacturers over the years...

however this one:

I believe is something quite different.

It's a "fireless" steam engine, if I am not mistaken. Note that there is no
tender, no coal in back and the "boiler" looks rather puffy. What's actually
going on there with a fireless is that where the boiler would go, there's a
big pressure vessel, which contains a charge of high pressure steam from a
stationary boiler. The engine operates on this charge for a while, then
returns for more steam.

These were used in things like explosives factories, where the open flame of
the firebox might set off vapors, or just in places where it was easier to
recharge from a stationary boiler than to maintain facilities to coal, water
and service combustion locomotives.