 Trains / 19586
  0-4-0 Switcher

Hi peoples, I had an extra train motor lying around, so: (URL) a model of a Pennsylvania Railroad Class A5 0-4-0 Switcher with slopeback tender. In grabbing that information, I found that it was also referred to as a "Yard Goat". I *love* that (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc) !

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Ya, yard goats are almost as cute as Critters. This switcher (or one very like it) is extremely well known among old time model railroaders because there were so many copies of an HO model of it sold in the 40s, 50s and 60s... You've captured (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) That's good to know - I have no problem switching (ha ha) the wheelsets out for the accurate style - once I get some more of the standard train wheels! I'm tapped flush out :( -s (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Most of your "proto" pics are in fact of that HO model I was referring to, it's been done by many manufacturers over the years... however this one: (URL) believe is something quite different. It's a "fireless" steam engine, if I am not (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

Shaun, Very nice - this is the kind of models Lego should be producing. Is the rubber band just for detail or does it hold something together? Thank you for sharing. Bob (...) [snip] (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

Sweet model. I will definately have to incorporate some of those ideas into something. Better yet, how would you feel about making an LDR file of this and sharing it out??? <hint> Really nice work!!!! (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

I smell another poster! What a great engine! Wonderful detail, has a compact yet strong look. After spending a ton of time designing my last steamer from scratch, I was wondering if you got any instructions! This is one that I'd love to run on my (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Thanks, Steve! I'm planning on working on the LDRAW file for it this weekend. As for gotcha pieces, there really aren't any that are too bad. Here's what I came up with: (1) you need 44-studs worth of those curved 1x2x1.3 black bricks - I used (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Hi Bob, Thanks for the comments. The rubber band is currently just for decoration - it doesn't serve any structural purpose. I've used rubber bands to good effect in the past, especially since they allow you to make "tubes" and "pipes" that go (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Yes, there is. You can clip a 1x4 or 1x6 brick into those tabs and it will stay securely in place. Some official LEGO designs (4563? I think so, but am too lazy to go check right now) use this feature so that's presumably why they are there. (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Ahhh, I get it. The "gap" in the clip matches a brick's wall thickness, right? Hmmmmm, interesting .... I never noticed that! I'll have to see if I can make use of it. Thanks, Lar. -s (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) I think they're there to spread the 'pull' of the train buffer/magnet over a larger area. The buffer has tabs that fit into the clips. By spreading the stress out a bit more it makes it less likely that the buffer will pull off the motor. (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

As always, awesome engine Shaun! The Boiler design especially, is nice with all the different angles, surfaces, curves, SNOT, etc. I think it needs steps on the pilot though, doesn't it? Especially since it's a yard switcher. Just put those 1x2 (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

(...) Hi Stefan, Thanks for the feedback! I'm having trouble picturing what you're saying about the steps though ... do you have a picture (either LEGO or real-life) of what you're thinking about that I can check out? Thanks again! -s (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 0-4-0 Switcher

I posted a quick CAD pic to my gallery to show what I'm saying. They should look about the right size on your model. (URL) the "prototype", look at the pilot in this pic: (URL) steps are actually on those little struts, but the pilot on your steamer (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.trains)