 Trains / 17191
Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 02:24:44 GMT

In article <H01579.1Bv@lugnet.com>, "Will Vale" <mwvale@gemsoft.co.uk>
wrote:

snip

The other problem with a full train is that I've done some more
extensive (i.e. not just a straight track with an S-bend) testing
and the crank shaft case and truck gearboxes foul the power clips
on the inside of bends. I think it should be possible to modify
the trucks to cope simply enough, but the crank case could be more
tricky. Time and experimentation will tell. I think the pilots might
cause some problems with couplers as well, but that should be
trivial to fix.

The Shay's asymmetry means that it might be possible to skirt
the issue by only running it on a loop of track with the cylinders
outward, but that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

Cheers,

Will

  First, WOW! Second.... um.... don't put the power clips on a curve.
That isn't cheating.
  You know, sometimes I think it is funny; when people see the awesome
huge steamers the next thought/statement is almost always "can it
negotiate x or y?" Why is that funny? Well, I was reading about one of
the big steamers (Challenger 4-6-6-4) that Union Pacific keeps going for
special events, and the people at UP said that they had to be very
carefull about the routes that they picked. Even when the big steamers
were in regular service, they couldn't go over a large percentage of the
tracks. Apparently, we hold our LEGO train models to a higher standards
than the designers of some of the biggest most impressive steamers ever
built.
  I looked on the UP website, and I found the page about excursions, but
I couldn't find the interview that I was looking for.

Great looking model. Move those power clips, and all is well:)
Chris