 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 384
New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:13:08 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi folks,

I delurked on .space a while ago, but I'll say a quick hello
to everyone else!

I've been thinking about building large scale Lego trains for
a while, but I've only recently sorted my sets and been able
to start building. Here's the first, although it might be the
only, since it's made a huge hole in my black bricks.

Gallery link:

Deep links (caveat: not tried this before)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/willvale/Shay/01-three-quarter-01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/willvale/Shay/09-cylinders-and-valves.jpg

Hopefully I can scrape together enough parts to make a couple
of logging cars to go with it.

Please note - this isn't based on any specific Shay - Most of
the features are inspired by the Bachmann large scale Shay,
but I compressed it to two cylinders (allowing me to shorten
the whole thing somewhat) and stole various details from other
Shay pictures I could find. It appears to work out at more-or-
less three foot gauge on Lego track, but I haven't done any
measurements to check this, apart from holding up a Technic
figure to various dimensions and crossing my fingers.

The cylinders and drive train work, and are driven by a Technic
gear motor inside the firebox, but I haven't connected the drive
shaft to the trucks because I wanted to be able to go around
corners... It should be possible to hook them up and run up and
down a straight track for display though, since the truck drive
shafts spin freely.

The model took a surprisingly short time to build - a couple of
evenings for the trucks and a weekend for the rest. I should
probably add a few more hoses and things around the boiler,
but I wanted to get the pictures taken before the light failed.

Probably the biggest challenge was taking pictures that don't
reveal Casey Jones to be wearing a diving suit...

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Cheers,

Will