 Trains / 17135
Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:56:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Will Vale writes:
First of all i would like to say nice work.

Thanks!

As a shay builder also i have a keen interest in what you have done.

Cool. I looked at your Shay (Cass #5?) while I was hunting around
for both prototype info and prior art.

I know a little about shays, I researched them before I built my
engine, and log cars/ log loader.

Are there any good WWW resources with more than just a few grainy
"piston side" photos of real Shays? I found some good works photos
at Geared Steam, but they don't give any wrong-side detail. I'm
particularly looking (now) for wrong-side and cab/tender interior
images in order to finish detailing my Shay. Even better if they
are of 3-foot gauge prototypes.

It is very hard to get images of shays. Especially on the wrong-side.
You can try the cass scenic railroad, but most don't offer much detail.
I found a lot of images at http://www.trainweb.org/gearedsteam/shay/shay.htm
To build my shay, i was looking at several pictures in a history of cass
book. (Pretty cool it gave a breakdown of the history of each engine.)
I took some pictures when i was at cass, but they are regular pictures, i do
not have a way right know to scan them.

Yes, but the problem is that the standard wheels have wider
frames than the motor trucks. My sideframes are built using
the 2x1/4x1 headlight brackets on top of the motor to give me
a slightly-more-than-4-wide start on which to build up plates.

Have you though about taking the wheels off the platform. The wheel sets can
snap off of the current base. the you may be able to build a better wheel set.

What you do need is a tender. Shay tenders are gears, and they
hold water.

I've not seen any 2-cylinder prototypes with a tender - they
only seemed to appear on the larger three-cylinder Shays. But
I'd be happy to be wrong. That said, I'm not too worried about
stealing ideas and details from different prototypes provided
the result fits within my mental picture of the "average" Shay.

I am sorry, you are correct. I was thinking of a 3 truck shay. (Which is
about all i have seen.)