 Trains / 15561
Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:45:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
Kevin,
I understood the problem I now have but my electrical current limit question
was "ANOTHER" question that I had that I came up with as I read about the
issues involved of running 3+ motors on the same track with only 1 train
controller.  Since I can't test the thoey as my legos are home in Chicago
and I'm on a 6-month rotation to San Diego (I've only got a smiple loop with
the metrolinear and the super chief right now).  I was hoping someone might
have already tested it for me.

OK... The received wisdom is this: If you stick to using pure LEGO sourced
components (their wall wart, their speed reg, etc.) you can well put
multiple controllers onto the same electrical track circuit. And indeed, if
you do that on a very large track and do your best to set all controllers to
the same speed (and direction!!!) setting (which is doable since they use
stepped switches rather than continuous) you will get good results.

That is, you will get more even train speed across the entire large track
layout because you will not be suffering resistive voltage drop at the far
end of the layout as badly.

However, this will not necessarily supply you with more current to the
circuit. That is, you will still see the current limited behaviour on
grades. (where you will see slower performance uphill with 3 motors than you
do with 2). It merely overcomes voltage drops. (arguably you SHOULD get more
current supplied if you look at the circuit from a theoretical
perspective... but I don't think it comes out that way in practice for
whatever reason. However I have never connected an ammeter to these circuits)

It is my speculation that this works in part because of how rugged and
kidproof the controllers themselves are. Normally connecting multiple
supplies to a common connection is not a recipe for good things.

Trying this with non LEGO components (toy transformers, model railroading
power packs, etc.) is not something I would do. They are not as abuse resistant.

For example, I would defer to the DCC experts but I believe they overcome
voltage drops by using heavy gauge wiring to several connection points,
reducing resistance, rather than with multiple supplies.

If that wasn't what you were asking, try asking the question again worded
differently. Hope that helps.