 Trains / 15560
Re: Gondola, Boxcar and new Locomotive!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:19:03 GMT

"Ahui Herrera" <jedi_agh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:GsGI4s.G97@lugnet.com...
So the web interface is bad because of my particular design, or Web
interfaces in general for BIs are bad?

Hum... IMO I think both.  Caroline Train builder got the right idea.  They
provide you with images of the final model on their website and then give
you a .PDF file that contains a) the building instructions (a few pieces • per
step NOT LIKE LEOS's on-line instructions) and b) an 'excel' like sheet • with
all the pieces (by color and qty) of what you will need.  I'm not saying
THIS is the best method (as sometimes the images in the PDF are *BAD* in
quality) but it's the best I have seen apart from a straight .ldr • download.

[ ... snipped ... ]

Thanks for the compliment on my instructions[1].

A couple of comments on this topic.  I personally do not like building from
a computer monitor.  That is why I provide my instructions as a PDF file.
As Ahui mentioned above, PDF files do have some limits, in my case the image
in the PDF file are not nearly as good as when I print them on paper.
However, PDF is a very good format for representing printed material on the
web.  So like lots of things, there are pros and cons with PDF.

Mike

[1] - You can download the instructions referred to above from my web site
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders.com.  I have been releasing a free model
each month[2] (I haven't done March yet) for the last three months and hope
to continue doing this for a while.

[2] - The FMOTM page is at:
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders.com/fmotm/index.htm

http://www.ncltc.cc - North Carolina LEGO Trainc Club