 Trains / 15559
Re: Gondola, Boxcar and new Locomotive!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:07:40 GMT

So the web interface is bad because of my particular design, or Web
interfaces in general for BIs are bad?

Hum... IMO I think both.  Caroline Train builder got the right idea.  They
provide you with images of the final model on their website and then give
you a .PDF file that contains a) the building instructions (a few pieces per
step NOT LIKE LEOS's on-line instructions) and b) an 'excel' like sheet with
all the pieces (by color and qty) of what you will need.  I'm not saying
THIS is the best method (as sometimes the images in the PDF are *BAD* in
quality) but it's the best I have seen apart from a straight .ldr download.

The problem you get with just having a .ldr file to download is that NOT
everyone has ldraw to view the .ldr. Plus some people may NOT want ldraw to
see the building instructions.  I know I won't if I was NOT using it.
(WOW... I can't believe I said that...)  So perhaps the next best medium, at
least if I was putting building instructions, would be in powerpoint.   1
step per slide.  This way the user could put his PC (okay MAC too...) in
slide show mode and build and look at the screen at the same time.  This,
off course, brings up the problem of file size for downloading.  But that is
another issue.

Now if you really, really wanted to look like the NEW LEGO. You would even
take the time to add a small image file in each instruction showing the
number and type of pieces needed per step.  This, off course, is not needed
but is a very very nice touch.  Actually I think that this is by far the
best thing LEGO has done for it's building instructions apart from going
from a 2D type to the 3D isometric type.  Having the number and type of
pieces per step helps out a lot especially for the younger audience.  I know
my sister gets fustrated very quickly when she finishes and realizes she
missed several steps.

-AHui