 Trains / 15658
Re: Super Chief Weight Issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 03:19:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
Maybe this is just on my layout since it's on the rug and not a 'real' flat
surface.  Last night, I connected the #10001 Metorlinear with the superchief
engine in the front just to see it in motion and I notice that my poor train
could not move it.  The engine(s) kept slipping.  I got a engine on the
front and back of the metrolinear an the middle passanger car.  After this I
picked up the super chief and did notice that it's heavier than my other
cars.  So what is my question?  Well with the super chief being so heavy is
one motor as the instructions show enough to actually pull several cars?
I'm think that perhaps not.  Perhaps an A and B unit with the B unit using 2
motors and the A using 1 might be enough to pull both heavy engines and say
4 cars.  Has anyone tried this or knows the limit of how many cars 1 super
chief with 1 motor can handle?

-AHui

I have sucessfully used 1 motor in a 10020 to pull another 10020, and
a full 'My Own Train' including it's locomotive (which did not have a motor.)

All of this was on a large (think Ultimate Track Kit) layout that was
also on a carpet and had many turns and some slight inclines.

It's interesting that people say the 10020 is heavy (or at least heavier)
I've just gotten into LEGO Trains in the past week, and the 10020 is
much lighter than I expected. I was surprised to see the motor actually
spin it's wheels when the rest of the train was caught up on something.

I had thought the motor would be able to pull the magnets apart. Maybe it
can if it has more weight to give it more traction? I know I saw one post
of a train decoupler. I didn't look at it too hard then, but I imagined it
just held the car while the rest of the train drove away. That was my
plan for building one anyway, but after seeing the 10020 spin it's wheels,
I think I might have to think of something else.

-Kyle