 Trains / 15512
  Super Chief Weight Issues

Maybe this is just on my layout since it's on the rug and not a 'real' flat surface. Last night, I connected the #10001 Metorlinear with the superchief engine in the front just to see it in motion and I notice that my poor train could not move it. (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues

(...) I managed driving 2 A-units (one with motor), ML middlecar, ML clubcar and ML endcar (sans motor). My track is on a wooden floor. I will try this afternoon with some extra hopper waggons (2 axle and 4 axle), 7xxx waggons (which are both heavy (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues

(...) In my experience two motors should be enough to pull a very long and heavy train. Also, I've noticed that when you use 3 motors on a train, every now and then you loose nearly all tracktion power, because on these occasions it somehow drains (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues

(...) I would agree there. You get BENEFIT from having the motor on a heavy vehicle because it reduces slippage. A few random observations. Manfried is right, 3 motors will often give worse performance than 2. And 4 can be correspondingly even (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues /possibly a quality issue of the ML?

(...) Dear Ahui, as written in the other answers more than 2 motors does not appear to be very helpful. 2 motors (with enough weight on their Back) should be able to pull up to over 100 waggons (has been testet)! So there are 3 aspects: the 4558 (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues /possibly a quality issue of the ML?

<snip> (...) I have one wheel set, older, not related to this newer problem, that makes a small sliding noise, at one point in its revolution. Only problem is I can't pin point the wheel, or possible problem. So far it hasn't effected it though... (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues)

<snip> Thanks for all the input from everyone. I was not aware of the current limitation. What if I connect 2 train leads from 2 different train controllers power by 2 toy transformers to a single track loop. Would this help the current limitation? (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues)

(...) As the previous messages indicate, you do not need more current or more motors. You need to put your motors under heavier locomotives. Lar is right, the Metroliner engine is too lightweight. If you have some Lego weight bricks, try placing (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues)

Kevin, I understood the problem I now have but my electrical current limit question was "ANOTHER" question that I had that I came up with as I read about the issues involved of running 3+ motors on the same track with only 1 train controller. Since (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Current Limitations (WAS Re: Super Chief Weight Issues)

(...) OK... The received wisdom is this: If you stick to using pure LEGO sourced components (their wall wart, their speed reg, etc.) you can well put multiple controllers onto the same electrical track circuit. And indeed, if you do that on a very (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues

(...) Indeed. My N class with 2 motorised bogies & the engine motor inside runs no better (grade-wise) than with 1 motorised bogie, and actually causes a single controller to cut out (I assume a heat switch) after an hour or 2 constant running. Also (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues

(...) Really??? I had never heard of a controller cutting out (it does have a heat triggered overload sensor) with just one or two motors loading it REGARDLESS of length of continuous running. Wow. I wonder why. What is your frequency in Oz? 50hz or (...) (22 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Super Chief Weight Issues

(...) I have sucessfully used 1 motor in a 10020 to pull another 10020, and a full 'My Own Train' including it's locomotive (which did not have a motor.) All of this was on a large (think Ultimate Track Kit) layout that was also on a carpet and had (...) (22 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)